Friday, August 26, 2011

Prologue

Having cycled 2,912 miles across the United States in only 25 days in 2011, my next challenge is to ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway.

To prepare for the adventure I've ridden over 6,500 miles this year, including hill repeats and quick 20 mph rides with my friends at Bicycles East in Matthews, NC. I've also made a couple of trips to the Parkway to ride 4 separate sections, getting a feel for what it’s like. HILLY!

I'm taking my 2006 Trek Madone bicycle, an extra wheel set and chain, and plenty of tubes and CO2 in case of flats. My wife Robbie will support me in a car, dropping me off each day at sunrise, bringing me lunch at mile 35, and picking me up at mile 70. Starting Saturday August 27th, finishing Friday September 2nd.

If you’re not familiar with the Blue Ridge Parkway, it’s a 470 mile stretch of two lane road running through the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina. It’s not open to commercial traffic, and has a speed limit of 45 mph. The most significant characteristic of the Parkway is its hills. There are over 45,000 feet of ascent, averaging 95 feet per mile. A typical ride in the Charlotte, NC area averages 35 feet. 6 to 8 percent grades are not unusual. In fact, on a climb I did there in the spring, Big Witch Gap, I averaged 270 feet per mile, 2,700 feet over a 10 mile stretch. Speeds of 6 mph will be common going uphill, and 40 mph or greater going downhill.

Check in daily to see how I’m doing.

5 comments:

  1. There you go again...
    Way to go and ride safe from all of us at Bicycles East!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Scott! I am so impressed and inspired. Maybe my mountain bike will make an appearance this weekend in your honor! Be safe, whatever you do... glad Irene decided she only wants to visit our coast and not the mountains! ( ^_^ )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha Scott!

    You're a rock!

    Be safe.

    Mike Weber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly T said: You are the definitely the big dog! Now, here's the plan. I will bring a sidecar up tomorrow + attach it to your bike + you can zip me along with you. Sound good?
    "Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott,
    (Jim Turner)
    Your determination is awe-inspiring. I will be Praying that the Lord will bless you and your hurting quad on this sojourn.

    The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
       he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
       he enables me to tread on the heights. Habakkuk 3:19

    ReplyDelete